Skreeducks, also known as pterodactyls are creatures in Ratchet & Clank, Going Commando, and Up Your Arsenal. They are winged reptilian creatures seen on several planets across the Solana Galaxy and the Bogon Galaxy.
In Ratchet & Clank, skreeducks appear in the Kyzil Plateau, Veldin, before reappearing in the skies of Qwark's headquarters, Umbris, and in the Kogor Refinery, Orxon. In Going Commando, they were seen around the Megacorp Outlet on Oozla, and killing four of them earns the skill point "Prehistoric Rampage". In Up Your Arsenal, they appear in the skies of the Nabla Forest, Florana, and around the crash site on Zeldrin. Shooting down ten on Zeldrin earns the skill point "Aim High".
Behind the scenes
The skreeducks were modeled, animated, and rigged by Colin Munson, who was merely a level gameplay designer and not an animator or 3D modeler. The model simply has a single, brown, low-res debug texture to make it appear as if it has eyes when zoomed in on it. They were included because it was a requirement at Insomniac Games for every level to have some movement in the background to create a sense of depth, dynamism, and ambiance. Skreeducks were used on every level when flying cars were not possible.
- Video games
- Insomniac Games (2002). Ratchet & Clank. PlayStation 2. Sony Interactive Entertainment.
- Insomniac Games (2003). Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando. PlayStation 2. Sony Interactive Entertainment.
- Insomniac Games (2004). Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal. PlayStation 2. Sony Interactive Entertainment.
- Greg Off, Linda Wanczyk (December 2003). Ratchet & Clank Going Commando Official Strategy Guide. BradyGames. ISBN 0744003288.
- Greg Off (November 2004). Ratchet & Clank Up Your Arsenal Official Strategy Guide. BradyGames. ISBN 0744005000.
- Mike Stout, Tony Garcia (July 6, 2011). Developer Commentary: Ratchet and Clank 2 - Ep 9 - Part 2/2. uselesspodcasts. YouTube.
- Mike Stout, Tony Garcia (September 16, 2012). Developer Commentary HD - Ratchet and Clank 3 - Ep 28. uselesspodcasts. YouTube.