The Hydro-Pack is a gadget in Ratchet & Clank, Going Commando, Up Your Arsenal, Tools of Destruction, and Ratchet & Clank (2016 game). It is a black market upgrade for Clank not endorsed by Gadgetron,, due to licensing issues with company Minton Incorporated, that grants him jets to propel Ratchet underwater and swim faster (by holding or ). The Hydro-Pack can be used to swim against currents and reach otherwise inaccessible areas in the original game. The Hydro-Pack is installed by Edwina on planet Hoven for 2,000 bolts in the original Ratchet & Clank, as part of the "Buy Hydro-Pack from Ed" mission. In subsequent releases in which it appears (including the 2016 re-imagined release), it is initially available with Clank.
The Hydro-Pack allowed Ratchet to reach a gold bolt in Tobruk Crater, planet Novalis, by swimming against the river currents to reach a secret area, though the river currents in the 2016 reboot no longer lead to such a place. He also used it on Quartu to explore the coolant system and look for any interesting items, finding a Bolt Grabber as a result. Later on he used it again for the same reason to swim through the water tanker on Drek's fleet, after which he found a CodeBot.
Behind the scenes
In Going Commando, one gadget that would have been included was a modification for the Hydro-Pack named the Gunsled. This would have attached two torpedo launches next to the Hydro-Pack to fight underwater, and would have been used in the "Scout the ruined machinery" on Barlow route. This would have been obtained at the end of the "Explore the Promenade" section in Canal City on Notak, though its removal led to a nanotech boost being added as a reward at the end in its place.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Ratchet & Clank (2002 game), game manual (PAL), p. 9
- ↑ Ratchet & Clank (2002 game) menu § "Hydro-Pack"
- ↑ Ratchet & Clank (2002 game) menu § "Explore the coolant system"
- ↑ Ratchet & Clank (2002 game) menu § "Swim through the water tanker"
- ↑ Developer Commentary: Ratchet and Clank 2 - Ep 7 (@0:18) published by uselesspodcasts on June 29, 2011 on YouTube. Accessed June 2, 2019.
- ↑ Developer Commentary: Ratchet and Clank 2 - Ep 9 - Part 1/2 (@3:19) published by uselesspodcasts on July 6, 2011 on YouTube. Accessed June 2, 2019.